If you’ve ever been to one of my Celebrity Circuits classes then you will know that I LOVE them! “But why?’ I hear you ask. “HOW??” Here are 5 reasons why burpees are my all time favourite exercise!
1. You can do them ANYWHERE! No equipment needed, meaning burpees are the ultimate travel workout - all you need is your own bodyweight! (And maybe some water for when you are EXHAUSTED afterwards.) Pressed for time? Do 50 burpees and you are DONE for the day! Add them to your strength workouts for a nice little finisher. Or do them after a run for a bonus burn.
2. ANYONE can do them! Yes, really! The movement is straightforward and you don’t have to be a super advanced athlete to master the technique. You can do them fast or slow. Come to a Celebrity Circuits class and you can guarantee I have a burpee variation up my sleeve to suit all fitness levels. At BabyFit we do ‘baby burpees’ where you take the jump out of it, to make it more of a step-back plank kind of move. This beginner variation keeps it nice and low-impact for my postnatal clients, while ensuring they still get to reap all the benefits of burpees!
“Those were some enjoyable burpees” Said no one. Ever.
3. You can get really fancy with them. Soooo many crazy burpee variations, you can never get bored! Here’s a list of my faves. Warning – some of these may make you want to throw up…
Throw a few of these variations into your regular workouts and I promise you will always be challenged – the possibilities are endless!
4. You work pretty much EVERY muscle group! Legs, arms, abs, the whole shebang! Burpees are without a doubt the definition of functional fitness. So do them and you will get stronger. You will also boost your endurance.
5. Burpees are a mega fat burner! I’m talking a serious boost to your metabolism, that’ll have you burning calories all day long! That’s the reason I incorporate them into all of my classes - I have your best interests at heart! Plus if you burn more calories you get to drink more wine in the
When life knocks you down, do a burpee!
So whether you’re a lover or a hater, after reading this article I’m sure you can see that the benefits of burpees definitely outweigh the bad points – yes they’re challenging, yes you will sweat but you will also get seriously FIT if you do them! Time to ditch the “Burpees Suck” attitude and learn to love the results that they bring you. Remember, your body can stand almost anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.